If you have been charged with the crime of hindering the police, it is advisable to engage criminal lawyers for assistance. Basically, this offence means that you allegedly did something that prevented a police officer from accomplishing their duties. There are different circumstances that can lead to this criminal charge. The most common is attempting escape and struggling against the officer after they have placed you under arrest. Warning a criminal of possible police presence can also be considered a criminal offence depending on the situation. Here is some basic information to help you understand the crime of hindering the police.


A penalty cannot be imposed if the crime and your involvement have not been validated through evidence and testimony. The prosecution will present their case against you in court and the Magistrate will make a decision based on the facts. They must prove that the police were acting within their rights, in a lawful way. There should be proof that you assaulted or hindered the officer's actions while they were performing their duty. Finally, the prosecution should prove that you were fully aware that the person you were hindering was an officer. You will have a good defence if the above statements are not true in your case. For example, if the police was acting illicitly or you did not know that they were police officers, you are likely to be cleared of the charge.

The Options

You will have three options when your case is presented in court. First, you can admit to presented charges and request the pertinent magistrate for diversion. A diversion program is favourable because it allows the offence to be dealt with outside the court system. Moreover, you will not get a criminal record for your criminal action. You are eligible for this option if your offence is not serious and you are not a repeat offender. You will be required to conform to certain conditions such as getting counselling, joining an education program, performing community service and making donations. Secondly, you can plead guilty if you intentionally committed the crime. Finally, you can deny hindering the police by pleading not guilty.


You will be fined if the court finds you guilty with regard to hindering or assaulting a police officer. If you are a repeat offender or had other offences listed in the charge sheet, the magistrate can impose jail time for the crime. In some cases, you might be required to compensate the affected officer and even do community work.